Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Wednesday, December 13, 2017   10:53:54 PM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

Daniel  12 : 4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 13

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Faith Soaps and Love

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Commentary Discussion

SIGN OF JONAH: Explained
Posted By: DavidSchmidt
4/18/2017 10:42:43 AM

Reverse

Original Commentary Link
2 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Member Comments:
I thought that the Passover began at sunset on Nisan 14 (Leviticus 23:5). In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
Jewish day has always began at sunset. Your diagram shows the crucification occurring on Nisan 15. This is a minor problem.

David Schmidt
Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 14181

Posted By: BrittneyGunter -
Date: 4/18/2017 2:02:35 PM

Comments:

There is no problem at all.  I believe Jesus was crucified on N15 and I also believe the scriptures testify to that account.  Allow me to explain.

There are clearly 2 parts to the Passover Event and they occur on 2 separate Jewish Calendar Days.  Go back to the original Passover in Egypt (Ex 12).  The first part is the Passover Meal (eating of the slaughtered lamb) that occurs at twilight on N14.  The second part is the actual Passover (God passing over the firstborns of Israel and striking down the firstborns of Egypt) which occurs on N15.  The Passover lamb is eaten on the eve of the actual Passover as N14 transitions to N15.

Scripture is very clear N15 is the day the Israelite captives are led free from Egypt.  God tells them they will observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread on that day (N15) because that was the day they were brought out of Egypt (Ex 12:17; Lev 23:6).

In the time of Jesus, scripture states Jesus is alive on the day of the Passover when they slaughtered the lambs, or N14.  He then goes on to eat a meal with his disciples that night (Mark 14:12; Luke 22:7).  He is arrested overnight (beginning N15) and crucified the following day (N15) during the sacred assembly that was required by the law (Ex 12:16; Lev 23:7).

N15 was a sabbath in which they were to hold a sacred assembly and they could also prepare food.  It was also the Friday preparation day for the Saturday sabbath on N16, a sabbath in which they could not prepare food because it was a day of strict rest.

It is tempting to want to believe that Jesus MUST have died on N14, just as the passover lamb did, because Jesus is the Lamb of God.  However, there are a few problems with that reasoning.

1- Jesus died at 3pm.  According to the law, the passover lamb was supposed to be slain at twilight.  Jesus claims he came to fulfill the law, so if Jesus were going to die in the same manner as the passover lamb, shouldn't he have died at twilight?  (Matt 5:17) Some historical references suggest the passover lambs were being slaughtered between noon and 3pm on N14, and that could very well be true, but Jesus didn't die that day.  He ate the Lord's supper that evening.

2- Jesus didn't come to die the death of the passover lamb; Jesus came to die OUR death.  He is the propitiation of our sins, not the propitiation for the passover lamb.  (1 John 2:2). In the original Passover, on what day were the firstborns of the Israelites supposed to die?  N15.  But when God saw the blood of the lambs, He passed them by.  The death penalty was still due.  Animal sacrifices don't atone for sins.  (Heb 10:4) On N15, the day Jesus died, the firstborn of all of creation (Col 1:15) took the death penalty for us on the cross and became the Lamb of God.  A final sacrifice once for all (Rom 6:10; 1 Pet 3:18)

The biggest source of confusion then is how Jesus could have died on a Friday, rise on a Sunday, and count that lapse of time as 3 days and 3 nights?  That is what this article explains.

A review of the week that led up to the Passover would look something like this:

N10:  Sunday (lambs chosen for slaughter); Triumphal Entry (Palm Sunday)

N11:  Monday

N12:  Tuesday

N13:  Wednesday

N14:  Thursday  (lambs slaughtered); Passover Meal Eaten/Lord's supper eaten

N15:  Friday (sacred assembly & Feast Day) Jesus crucified in Front of the Crowd

N16:  Saturday; High Day Sabbath

N17:  Sunday; Resurrection Day

N14 is the day of the Lord's supper because Jesus obediently observed the Passover.  He even says he had eagerly desired to eat it with his disciples (Luke 22:15). In this meal, Jesus offers his body and his blood to be eaten as the new covenant.  In the original Passover meal, it wasn't enough to just slaughter the lamb but it also had to be eaten (Ex 12:8).  The night transitioned from the 14th to the 15th and he is arrested and dies at 3pm on N15: the day the firstborns were to die.

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 14182

Posted By: Linda Ihinger -
Date: 4/18/2017 4:58:07 PM

Comments:

My understanding of Jesus' death occurred on Nisan 14th. In order for Jesus to be the Passover Lamb he was to be killed on Passover. Jesus kept the Passover with the Disciples the evening before he was killed on Passover.

The Feast of Unleaved Bread began on Nisan 15th, and was a High Holy day in which NO work was to be done...thus the haste in which to remove the men from the crosses and bury them as quickly as possible on the 14th.  The Jewish people observed, as written in the Bible, the Passover supper at evening, the beginning of the Feast. This is also known as the Night to be Much Observed.

Your article is illuminating, but I still believe Jesus was crucified on the 14th day, rose exactly 3 days later.  If you go back to the exact year that he died, you will find that Nisan 14th,  which began the evening before was a Tuesday according to the Julian calendar, with Passover beginning the evening of Wednesday which would be Nisan 15th.

Just my observation and understanding. I can't get 3 days out of  2 nights and 1 day....just doesnt click  with me.   But your article  was well written!!  

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 14184

Posted By: DavidSchmidt -
Date: 4/18/2017 10:05:09 PM
1 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

Interesting view point but I disagree with your analysis.  The problem is based on the dispute between two years that historians think Jesus was crucified, AD 30 (Hebrew calander 3790 or AD 33 (Hebrew calendar 3793).  I will not go into details between the choice of years; instead will look at the Holy Week for both years.

AD 30 shows Nisan 14 to be on a Wednesday (sunset Tuesday to Sunset Wednesday) which is different from your timeline.  AD 33 shows Nisan 14 to be a Friday (sunset Thursday to sunset Friday), again does not match your timeline.

Since the lamb will have to be slaughtered some time between noon and sunset (disagreement of the Hebrew phrase ben ha-erebim - between the two evenings) on Nisan 14 before it can be eaten, how is this possible with your timeline?

Finally, in my humble opinion it does not matter if Jesus was crucified on a Thursday or a Friday or at twilight or 3:00 pm since these disagreements in facts does not affect our salvation.  What is important that everyone should agree that Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14 and rose on the day of 1st first fruits as outlined in Leviticus 23.

David Schmidt

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 14186

Date: 4/19/2017 8:15:15 AM
Shout AMEN!Amen ~ PrayingPraying

Comments:

I agree with you 100% that this is not a salvation issue.  Praise the Lord! . Nowhere in the NT do the apostles ever give an acccount of the days of Nissan. All we must agree on is Christ was crucified for our sins and raised by the power of God to life.  We agree on that.

Between believers, it is an very interesting discussion and I thank you so much for your comments and engaging discussion.  Although we disagree, I do enjoy looking into the scriptures from an alternative perspective.  As iron sharpens iron...

To answer your question, how is the lamb slaughtered and eaten according to my timeline? I believe the lamb is slaughtered on N14 and eaten in the evening as the days transition from N14/N15, just as it is done in the original passover in Exodus. I believe the Lord's Passover is the Lord's Supper. I believe the actual passover from Exodus Ch 12 on N15 is the actual day Jesus took our punishment of death. 

As to your historical references, I just want to point out that historians are people and people are fallible.  I think great caution should be used in looking to outside references to authenticate the scriptures, especially in matters where the scriptures are capable of authenticating themselves.  I believe this is the case in our current discussion.

I also believe I have made a firm case for my position between my two articles and all my responses.  No sense in beating a dead horse.  I respect the firmness of your position.  Again, I thank you so much for your comments!

Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 14196

Posted By: PamelaSwisher -
Date: 4/19/2017 5:09:59 PM

Comments:

"What you are about to do, do quickly." Jesus told him, but no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the Feast, or to give something to the poor. As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.    John 13:27b-30

I always wondered about that added detail in John. The gospels usually don't add details unless there is some additional meaning.

Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 14198

Date: 4/19/2017 8:58:43 PM

Comments:

yes I noticed that parallel too.  

There is also this one:

In the garden on the night Jesus is arrested (N15):'And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping.  And he said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour?" ' Matthew 26:40

On the original passover night of N15:  "It was a night of watching by the Lord, to bring them out of the land of Egypt; so this same night is a night of watching kept to the Lord by all the people of Israel throughout their generations."  Ex 12:42

Reply # 7 - ReplyTo ID: 14204

Date: 4/21/2017 9:27:14 AM

Comments:

Help - I thought on Nisan 15, the first day of the feast of unleavened bread was a non work day - same restriction that are imposed on a sabbath day.

Leviticus 23:6

'Then on the fifteenth day of the same month there is the Feast of Unleavened Bread to the LORD; for seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.

Exodus 12:15-20

'Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, but on the first day you shall remove leaven from your houses; for whoever eats anything leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person shall be cut off from Israel. 'On the first day you shall have a holy assembly, and another holy assembly on the seventh day; no work at all shall be done on them, except what must be eaten by every person, that alone may be prepared by you. 'You shall also observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread, for on this very day I brought your hosts out of the land of Egypt; therefore you shall observe this day throughout your generations as a permanent ordinance

If you cannot "work" on Nisan 15, how were the chief priests and Pharisees able to be "received" by Judas as per John 18:3 and then take Jesus as a prisoner?  Furthermore how can Caiaphas hold council on Jesus?  This is definitely work.

I am missing something.

David

Reply # 8 - ReplyTo ID: 14207

Date: 4/22/2017 3:01:39 PM
Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 1 PrayingPraying

Comments:

The (Saturday) Sabbath Day and the special sabbath of Nissan 15 are separated by a key distinction:  they were allowed to prepare meals on Nissan 15 but not on the Saturday Sabbath.  N15 was clearly not as strict as the regular Saturday Sabbath.  However, it was still a sacred holy day, a day of assembly, and there were obvious restrictions on work.

It is incredibly interesting to see that the chief priests do not enter the Roman governor's palace that morning for the express purpose to avoid ceremonial uncleanliness. (John 18:28)

So, they arrest Jesus in the cover of night on a holy day and try him within the council (remember holy days begin with sunset), but after sunrise they are suddenly concerned with their 'ceremonial uncleanliness'.  The holiness of the day had not changed, yet their behavoir has. Hypocritical much?  Yes, I agree. Perhaps they didn't want to be seen by the Jewish crowd as clearly breaking the law during the sacred assembly.  

The priests were plotters.  They were hypocrites.  Jesus knew their hearts and their thoughts. They were seeking to capture him in any way in order to kill him.  Their actions are not the appropriate lens to use to determine how the law was to be observed. 

Reply # 9 - ReplyTo ID: 14208

Date: 4/24/2017 2:10:22 AM

Comments:

I do thank you for the explaination.

David