Home | Forums | Bible | +Width | Subscribe | Member Login

Monday, November 20, 2017   7:25:17 PM  

Welcome to The Omega Letter   Daily Briefings Commentary News Room   Contact OL Site Map How Do I?
Testimonials Prophecy Israel Globalism Terror In Defense Around the World War News Witnessing Perspective Commentary

Omega Letter Member Log In

2 Peter  3 : 3
Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
Read Today's Proverb - Chapter 20

Why Subscribe?
Subscribe Online   Online
Subscribe By Mail   By mail
Contribute
Public Registration

Forum

Zeteo 3:16 with Alf and Alesia Cengia

THE END THE BOOK THE SERIES: J.L. Robb

Ready Reasons - Wendy Wippel

The End The Book Part 6

Faith Soaps and Love

Bible Prophecy News Christian Current Events

Daily Brief Commentary Contributed Help Forums

Omega Letter - Member Contributed Articles

The Shoes of a Fisherman
Posted By: Phrank
4/4/2013 9:21:02 AM

Reverse

Original Article Link
21 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 20 PrayingPraying

Member Comments:

Im not that good of a writer (outside of computer programs that is) and thought I'd share some ramblings.

Phrank

--

There is so much going in the world right now I don't know where to begin.  As watchmen,  it seems that we have become acutely aware of everything going on around us.  Not quite surreal, but certainly with an intensity that you would not normally give the daily news. The events of these last days seem to be in sharper focus; possibly I'm just more sensitive to it.

We have a new Pope but not by the usual method,  that is the last pope dying.  But for the first time on over 600 years, the current, living Pope Benedict resigned in a surprise move that has rocked the Christian world.  It has been interesting to observe several groups of people watch with great anticipation to see if the 12th century Malachy prophecies were right.  As of right now, they are not, but given time I'm sure that facts can be tortured into place to fit the prophecy.

If the prophecies were true, one would wonder what would be the national conversation be today.   Since we are the last days, it is only fitting that we should be talking about the "Last" Pope.  Only God knows if Francis is the final pope, but one can't help but sit up and take notice at the number of people that think he is.

One only has to look at the Drudge report to get a daily barrage of news and events that makes your head spin.  Were it not for being grounded in Jesus, the outlook is none too good.

We can't look at world events and leave out Syria and North Korea.  The fighting in Syria for leadership to get to be the regime that gets to make life in Israel more difficult;  Kim Jung Um (pun intended) showing very clearly to the world that there is a reason why that the young do not normally run countries.

Domestically, everybody has gotten into the act to try to severely limit or outright take away it's citizens Second Amendment rights. Even the U.N. has gotten into the act by approving a treaty to regulate international arms trade.

Anybody that has to go to grocery shopping has seen food prices have been steadily rising for the past several months and have had to tighten belts accordingly.  We are all taking a beating  at the store with the inflation that the US government wants to convince us is not that bad.   The anemic so-called recovery that the news media has reported is making life better - well for at least some of us so I'm told .

Then there is the whole Gay marriage push on several fronts to make what the Bible says is unacceptable, acceptable.  Via social media, news reports on the web and television, hardly a news report goes by with some mention of it.  Interestingly, I've learned that a red Equals sign now means that you support Gay marriage.  I'm not a symbologist , but shouldn't it have been a Blue equals sign? That would at least be consistent with the whole red state blue state thing.

There is of course "The Bible" mini-series.  I think it's wonderful that the word of God is being acted out on television for all to see, albeit with some rather confusing "Artistic License", that included Martial arts enabled angels et al, but still hoped to keep the spirit of the story intact.

All I'll say here is that the movie is never as good as the book.

There is a crowd control technique that says if you want to take control of a situation, create enough confusion so that the people have to go to an authority for the truth.  Just make sure you are that authority. Then as that authority you can tell the masses whatever you want them to hear.

The ones that speak your language will understand and follow gladly.  For the ones that don't speak the same language, they just don't understand that the matter has been settled and should be learning from those that do understand.  Instead they are labeled rabble rousers, subversives or worse from the medias' point of view - Right-wing fundamentalist Christians.

In Matthew 24:3, The disciples has just asked Jesus;   "Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

In the very next verse, the first thing that Jesus said was;  "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Jesus goes on to say in verses 6 thru 13:

"And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.  For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.  All these are the beginning of sorrows.  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.  And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

Jesus was not yet finished speaking to the disciples when He gave them and us a Hope and a promise. In Verse 13 is says:  "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. "

It can be a rather daunting task to be a watchman.  It can be frustrating, mind-numbing and certainly trying at times to sound the alarm at the depravity and foolishness of mankind,  but we are also sounding the announcement of the coming of Jesus, heralding that He IS coming back soon, coming back for all who believe in Him.

We are in the last days, and, I believe, the last of the last days.   We are either in the last days of this age or we are in the last days of our lives. Whichever is the case,  I've heard it said that these are MY last days.  Jesus is our authority and hope for what we say and witness. We only have to endure the waiting for Him to return but for a little while longer.  In the great scheme of things one lifetime is not very long, and the older I get the more I realize how short that is.

If by the work that the Holy Spirit does in each of us, that if even only one soul is brought to Jesus, Glory is given to God the Father and to Him who is worthy to open the scroll, the body of Christ is encouraged and We have done our Job in the Great Commission.

There is no one that I know that can fill the shoes of a fisherman that we all miss, but I can see now why Jack liked to fish.

Reply # 1 - ReplyTo ID: 4105

Posted By: Scott Savell -
Date: 4/11/2013 3:05:30 AM
20 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 20 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Very good!

Scott

Reply # 2 - ReplyTo ID: 4104

Posted By: GeorgiaMiller -
Date: 4/10/2013 12:59:04 PM
21 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 18 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Well said, Frank!  Thanks for sharing these things. 

Reply # 3 - ReplyTo ID: 4103

Posted By: Phillip Flint -
Date: 4/7/2013 10:29:08 AM
23 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 21 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Thank you Phrank.  Well said.

Reply # 4 - ReplyTo ID: 4102

Posted By: Martha E -
Date: 4/5/2013 10:53:37 AM
19 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 21 PrayingPraying

Comments:

i like your dads version better too!

almost forgot - even though i was not a christian back then - i use to say a prayer fishing -

god is good-

god is great -

please send the biggest trout -

right for my bait!!

Reply # 5 - ReplyTo ID: 4101

Posted By: Kari -
Date: 4/5/2013 9:02:59 AM
21 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 17 PrayingPraying

Comments:

That is the one Martha.  Only I think he used just "God" not gods Wink

Reply # 6 - ReplyTo ID: 4100

Posted By: Martha E -
Date: 4/4/2013 10:57:46 PM
19 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 24 PrayingPraying

Comments:

amen phrank . so much going on in the world - hard to keep up with it all.

kari - is this the quote?

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

my dad loved fishing too and took us all stream fishing for trout growing up. 

Reply # 7 - ReplyTo ID: 4099

Posted By: Kari -
Date: 4/4/2013 9:33:06 AM
28 Shout AMEN!Amen ~ 18 PrayingPraying

Comments:

Thank you for sharing your heart on this Phrank. It is fun, challenging and requires paitence to be a fisherman, but it seems we have all the rods, reels and tackle we need, hey and even a boat to get'er done.  I wish I could remember the quote Dad would use about God not counting the time spent fishing being counted against you....or something like that.  It was a good one.  I think it is a popular one, if anyone knows it.  I would certainly love to hear it again.